My Favorite Blog Post(s)

Here are my two personal favorite posts but please check out the others too...



Monday, January 2, 2012

The Power of Free-Time



This winter break, with nothing but heaps of free-time on my hands, I found myself in front of a television or computer screen for the majority of my time alone at home. I asked my friends if they did the same with their free-time, and they responded as if it were a competition, "Dude, I spent, like, 6 hours on Facebook yesterday it was awesome."

On new years I made it my resolution to cut back on the amount of time I spent online to make room for non-lazy activities like reading, exercising, walking the dog, etc. Come January 2, I find myself on the computer or watching TV just as much. Although it is still winter break and my lazy actions are somewhat justified, I still find it pretty lame that this is what I resort to when I have free-time.

In a recent New York Times article, titled The Joy of Quiet, it talks about a similar topic: limiting your online distractions, such as television and internet, allows the brain to be less erratic and relax the mind from distractions. The article made a very good point that, "Distraction consoles us and yet makes us miserable," referring to how the diversion of the internet and electronics makes our lives both more convenient yet addicting. Teenagers' and adults' minds alike adapt to the extreme amount of fast-paced information while online, so when we get a free moment we feel the need to go back online. You may not even notice it but you may even go back online minutes after you just logged off. The article also offered the alternative, stimulating your brain without the aid of screens, and how it has only positive effects on your mind and mental state.

I think this article would really help out many Americans, including myself. In our free-time when we mindlessly stare at a screen, we are killing opportunities where we could potentially experience nature, read, or exercise. While my new years resolution might be a difficult one, I think it will really have a positive effect on myself as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely important to find a way to get away from the computer and television. Although I never have much free time on my hands, nor did I over break, I did notice that come night time when I should be going to bed, I am glued to the internet. I lose from a half hour to sometimes up to two hours of sleep because of mindless surfing. I'll have all of my homework done, but yet I will feel more incomplete than I did before I finished my work. I think this is probably the case with most other Americans. If they can find a way to break away from the internet, then they would be a lot happier and more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Casey. I spent a large majority of my break at my computer screen as I watched countless youtube videos, went on facebook, and watched an absurd amount of Law & Order SVU. I too think my habit is disgustingly addictive, and quite frankly I don't know why. I think a major factor that accounts for this addiction is the fact that many of us think using these distractions relaxes us when in reality it just makes the problem worse. I feel the most relaxed when I read, talk with my family, or just let my mind wander. When I'm on facebook, all I think about is how many people liked my status, who started dating who, and if I look good or not in the photos my friend just uploaded. Just because surfing the net isn't homework, doesn't mean it puts our mind at rest. We need time to dream, no?

    ReplyDelete