My Favorite Blog Post(s)

Here are my two personal favorite posts but please check out the others too...



Sunday, September 11, 2011

Facebook and 9/11




Exactly ten years ago, perhaps the worst tragedy our country has faced in half a century, we were attacked by a series of planned commercial plane bombings. In the aftermath of it all, there were some necessary changes to be made in national security, but most importantly peoples lives were lost, and the holes they left in their families can never be filled.
After I came home from school, my mom and
 I watched the news, teary eyed as the second plane hit


First off, I'd like to explain how much 9/11 affected me September 11, 2001. When I was younger, I lived in upper New Jersey, a community where a vast majority of the people commuted and worked in New York. In fact, my father was in New York during the chaos and utter awe caused by the attack. I remember being in my first grade classroom when my distressed principle came in and whispered to my teacher; telling all the students that their parents were alerted and we were going home early. I was young when it happened, but my community (among others) was hit very hard 9-11, being that many of my classmates parents/relatives/loved ones were killed.

Obviously, I do not take this topic lightly. So when I log on to Facebook and see groups like, 911,911 member's by 9/11 and Can we get 911,911 likes to show respect for 9/11 victims? I am furious. I am all for "showing respect" to the ones affected by 9/11- but when someone creates a group with a destination of nearly one million members it is clearly not about a memorial, it's about them. Of course people are going to "like" and "join" groups like that, Americans will just whizz by the actual name of the group and see 9/11 and join the group out of guilt or personal gain. Also on Facebook, my father said he noticed someone say that they couldn't believe that NFL games would be played on a day so serious. Although much different than the pretentious "groups", this is equally as aggravating to me, because we should't let 9/11 still interfere with and dictate our lives.  To cancel sporting events as if no one can do anything they planned to do on 9/11 is ridiculous. I don't see things cancelled on December 7, the date of Pearl Harbor, or plans rescheduled on December 20 the date the South receded the union. There is no doubt that the events that transpired on September 11, 2001 were the worst of my lifetime and perhaps many others, but it's not like I can't live my life today because of it.

To me, 9/11 memorial is all about spending time with your family and calling loved ones hit hardest by it; not joining a superficial 9/11 group requesting your "likes", as if you adding the group directly appreciates someone hurt by 9/11. 9/11 is about caring for ones close to you and being thankful that our country is still strong, despite the massive wound in both our capitalist economy and our hearts. It may linger in our lives, and leave its evidence in the memories of millions- but we should live our lives like every other day. We shouldn't cancel football games or not see our friends and relatives, we should share this day with other fellow Americans by showing real "non-digital" respect to its victims.


5 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement, "We shouldn't cancel football games or not see our friends and relatives, we should share this day with other fellow Americans by showing real "non-digital" respect to its victims". This morning, I attended a ceremony with my father at our near by temple. The ceremony was filled with many tears and smiles as we reflected upon the past. Instead of dwelling on the tragic day that occurred ten years ago, my father and I viewed it in a different perspective. We agreed that we were going to watch the Bears game with our family and friends. I've watched several movies about 9/11 in the past day and I have watched non stop news about it aswell. I have learned many new facts about the day, because at that time ten years ago I was only 5 years old. 9/11 is something that will never be forgotten in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the title of the post I was interested in reading it because I was curious to see what others opinions were of people discussing 9/11 on facebook. This morning I saw many statuses about 9/11 and how tragic it was, but when I read them I admit I was frustrated too. I agree with you when you said that, " it is clearly not about a memorial, it's about them." I feel like many people posted things in their status about it simply because they felt like they had to. Many of them where the same thing just copy-pasted, which I think was probably the worst. There was no personal connection or feelings attached to it and obviously not a lot of thought was put into it if they themselves didn't even write it.
    Furthermore I'd like to expand upon what you said about joining the groups about it due to "guilt or personal gain." I think that people feel bad about the tragic events that day and try to find someway to help. Unfortunately, simply "liking" a facebook group or writing a status stops their guilt about not doing anything right there. They think they're done and that they've made their peace about it. In actuality, nothing has changed. One more like on facebook cannot make the families of those lost on that day feel better. I understand that most of us are just teenagers and that we can't always make a huge difference, however I would have appreciated more of a reflection or tribute besides a one sentence status about the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you on both of your arguments Casey. I also want to comment on your thoughts regarding how we shouldnt let 9/11 dictate how we live our lives on this day. I think that it is important we do continue to live our lives despite the tragedy that occurred ten years ago. I also want to add that I think the NFL did a great job with how they chose to conduct today. Watching the national anthem before the bears game made me realize that today is important to show our national pride and unity. I am not saying that today is upbeat and positive, but is nice to see that we can come together on a day like this and show respect for the lives lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings up an argument I've had in my head since todays AS class. We talked about good intentions, and this is another prime example. Do people think they're really helping 9/11 victims and their families by liking a Facebook page? No, I don't think so. But I do think someone might see a 9/11 Facebook page and think, "Why not? I might as well like it." Pages like these tear at our heartstrings in the most trivial way. We feel bad for a second, and then it's on to the next thing on the newsfeed. This brings me to my point of good intentions. If an entity (in this case a Facebook page) has no real value or charity to a cause, why is it there in the first place? Why do we (American, patriotic, Facebook citizens) feel the need for good intentions if, technically, they don't help the said situation at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Layne, after reading your comment I started thinking about your question- why people feel the need for good intentions even if they're not helping the situation- and I think it's because people want to feel involved. I think those who simply "like" the 9/11 facebook page and then move on to the next thing on their newsfeed do feel bad for the 9/11 victims, but aren't motivated enough to get involved in a cause. I think its the quick and easy way for people to help out and show good intentions, and Americans are always looking for the quickest and easiest way to do things. When it comes to helping and showing support people should take time and thought instead of simply clicking a button.

    ReplyDelete